Monday, January 2, 2012

No Fault Ministry

Date Published: 06/24/2009

I am challenged by what the Apostle Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 6:3. He wants to conduct himself in such a way that “no fault may be found with our ministry.” I aspire to a similar reputation, knowing full well how vulnerable I am in both public ministry and personal life. I have witnessed first hand the wounds to congregations and individuals when pastoral trust is broken, and I know I am not exempt. I resonate with Paul when in 1 Corinthians 9:27 he expresses his concern that “after proclaiming to others I myself should not be disqualified.”

In my 34 years of ordained ministry, I believe Candy and I have opened our hearts wide without restriction in affection for those among whom we serve, just as Paul expresses in 2 Corinthians 6:11. And we have been rewarded as many have opened their hearts to us as well (v. 12)

In August of 2006 my spiritual director asked me to think of images for my pastoral ministry. For a long time I have embraced Eugene Peterson’s use of the image of Odysseus lashed to the mast as he sails past the sirens to wrestle with calling, vocation and ordination. Regardless of how enticing the distractions, the pastor stays with the Church, and as much as possible the congregation. The responsibility for the spiritual well being of individuals and the congregation cannot be abandoned just because it is painful or difficult or because something else (even another congregation) is more attractive. This is a living model of the rich and joyful harvest of long term fidelity and commitment.

Paul writes of his experiences of “great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, sleepless nights, hunger.” (vv. 4-5) Though I would not come close to comparing myself with Paul in the difficulties I have faced in my years of ministry, I certainly identify with the experience. But I also have aspired to bring to my ministry the same resources Paul did to his: “purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, holiness of spirit, genuine love, truthful speech, and the power of God.” (vv. 6-7)

No comments: