Monday, January 2, 2012

Embracing Risky Adventure

Date Published: 05/08/2009

With a bit of tongue in cheek, I have said that my academic achievement son Jon is the kid I tried to be and couldn’t and my dare devil son David is the kid I wanted to be and didn’t dare. As Erik has progressed into adulthood, I have more and more recognized him as the “son of my old age” (see Genesis 21:2,7; 37:3; 44:20). Besides recognizing their distinct temperaments and the unique relationship I have with each of my sons, I also celebrate the way they have embraced life’s adventures.

I have also watched my parents (and now my mother alone) embrace each new phase of life with zest, hope and faith. I always sensed that they were delighted to see what having teenagers was going to be like, what sending my sister and I off to college would be like, what becoming in-laws and then grandparents would be like, what retirement would be like, what assisted living would be like. After a time of grieving and adjustment after my father’s death, my mother now expresses contentment with her life in nursing care and even speaks with anticipation about being ready to see what God has in store as she leaves this life.

My experience is that way too many people err on the side of caution rather than adventure. The temptation to be like John Marcher in Henry James’ novel The Beast in the Jungle is relentless for some folk. He has a foreboding that an unknown “beast in the jungle” will ruin his life. He lives with utmost caution, alert to avoid every threat and risk. In the end, he discovers that his fear and caution was the “beast” that ruined his life.

When the future seems unclear and ominous, playing it safe is very tempting but is almost certainly the most reliable way to insure disaster. Of course, embracing adventure does not insure “success” and certainly doesn’t eliminate risk, but it makes living satisfying, and along the way inspires others as well. I am not suggesting foolish gambles or reckless escapades, but only when we are beyond ourselves are we living by faith (Genesis 15:6; Habakkuk 2:4).

A faltering global economy, a H1N1 virus flu pandemic, an aging congregation seeking transformation. Caution and fear are not options for those who want to be disciples of Jesus Christ. Being warned that death awaited him in Jerusalem, Jesus did not flinch or hesitate to finish his work (Luke 13:31-35).

No comments: