Monday, January 2, 2012

Don’t Change My Plans!

Date Published: 07/19/2009

In 2 Samuel 7:6-7 God responds to King David’s desire to build a Temple for God by protesting that since the Israelites came up out of Egypt, God has moved about in a tent. God seems unwilling to be confined and tied down to a permanent Temple. The metaphor of the portable Tabernacle fits with how I have tried to “live in tents,” following the metaphor of Abraham in Hebrews 11:9-10.

Now, this week, the convergence of economics and auto mechanics has dramatically altered our plans for vacationing around representing Central Christian Church at the General Assembly of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Indianapolis, Indiana. The realities that compelled us to make these changes seemed to be a word from God. Yet, I know I felt disappointed and hurt. My wife, Candy, probably even more so.

So, I am finding the flexibility of following God and “living in tents” by having our plans changed to be more challenging to practical living, to emotions, to our communication as a couple, to my faith, than I might have suggested when I wrote the into copy for this blog. I think I am hearing God say to me, “Don’t get too attached to the way you want things to be. Keep following me on this unpredictable adventure.”

When your plans change, what do you hear God saying?

No comments: