Sunday, September 27, 2020

My Expectations for Amy Coney Barrett

 I expect that the interviewing and investigating of Amy Coney Barrett to be thoroughly vigorous but not vicious. I desire and expect her personal faith to be respected, but I also expect her answers to respect that the free exercise clause of the Constitution means that all religions have the right to practice as freely as Christians, and that the non-establishment clause means that Christians are not given preferential privilege or government support over other religions. I expect her to render her judgments based on legal principles and not political preferences (recognizing that the boundaries there can be fuzzy). Yes, I actually celebrate that the way she follows Jesus will overflow into the totality of the way she lives, just my pacifist ethics are a direct expression of how I follow Jesus, even though others do not share those views. In that regard, I am looking for authenticity and integrity more than conformity with my opinions. With some relief, I am anticipating that we will not be faced with allegations of sexual harassment or assault that seem to have been accepted as a rite of passage for so many men in positions of power.

 

No comments: