Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Sacrilegious, Blasphemous, Idolatrous?


I believe I had occasionally seen this sort of thing but passed over it as a naïve mishmash of piety and patriotism. This Memorial Day weekend I saw many, many posts and memes to the effect of saying “US military personnel gave their lives/shed their blood for your freedom. Jesus Christ died/shed his blood for your salvation/forgiveness.” I mean no disrespect to US military personnel who died in service or any from the past or present. I am not interested in provoking any kind of argument or giving any kind of offense. So I am only posting this in my Writing Workshop blog to get it out of my system. To me connecting US military personnel and Jesus Christ with the parallel of giving their lives for others, while having a certain superficial logic, strikes me as sacrilegious or blasphemous or even idolatrous. It also smacks of malignant “American Exceptionalism” as though the military personnel of other countries don’t deserve the same patriotic respect. I recognize that as a lifelong Christian pacifist, I have a unique perspective which certainly colors my responses. Nevertheless, I would think that any serious follower of Jesus, even the most patriotic, would cringe at the implications of this parallel.

No comments: