Monday, August 13, 2018

Would We Accept Humility in Leaders?

“La Reve di Salomon” by de Luca Giordano - 1694



The Lectionary lesson from the Hebrew Scriptures for next Sunday, August 19, 2018, includes Solomon’s prayer for wisdom from 1 Kings 3:3-14. As I have begun my lectio divina for this week, I am impressed by the great humility of Solomon as both a contrast with and rebuke to the blatant arrogance that seems rampant among those presently charged with governing this country. Solomon prayed, “And now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David, although I am only a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. And your servant is in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a great people, so numerous they cannot be numbered or counted. Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil; for who can govern this your great people?” (vv. 7-9)



No comments: