Friday, November 18, 2016

Words Are Windows to the Heart


Twenty plus years ago I was privileged to have an extended conversation with Henri Nouwen about Jesus’ words in Matthew 12:34. “Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” As I was wrestling with speaking to my then seven year old son, Henri said, “If you want to know what is going on in your heart, listen to what you say when you speak before you think.” This line has become a powerful touchstone for my personal spiritual journey and for my pastoral ministry. I have added: and what you stop yourself from saying if you catch yourself in time.


In the turmoil and exchanged accusations of the past presidential campaign and the aftermath of the election, I have said and heard others say things such as, “I don’t know what is in that person’s heart, but I hear them say …” I would suggest that Jesus’ words do give us a window into the hearts of politicians in the unplanned, spontaneous words they use (say or post on the internet). Often they backtrack on or try to hide these revelations with carefully prepared statements, but I suggest paying attention to the words that come out without much forethought as clues to what is happening in their hearts.

No comments: