Friday, June 12, 2020

Still Not Healed After a Century and a Half


A friend posted this picture on Memorial Day weekend in recognition of US military personnel who have died through history. I didn't respond to it then as that would have seemed disrespectful at the time, but I did observe that more died in the Civil War/War Between the States than in any other war. (I don't know but I suspect that number included both Union and Confederate deaths.) This struck me as particularly sad as we were fighting each other, not an outside enemy. Having lived in Dallas, TX for 17 years, I am very aware that many (most?) people there do not view that war the same way I grew up and lived with most of my years in CA, MN, IL, NJ, WI. (While I learned a lot and have tried to be sensitive from my time in Texas, I could never hide all of the marks that identify me as a Yankee.) The recent controversies over Confederate monuments and namings suggest that after a century and a half, this nation has not healed from that war. Those who want monuments removed are accused of erasing history. Those who want them preserved are accused of celebrating a dark blot on history. The removers reply that history is not to be erased but interpreted (in museums, etc.) so we can learn from it. The preservers reply that they respect the courage and character of those who defended their homes and lives from outsiders. I am not going to try to sort that out and get distracted from my lament that the conflict that took more lives than any other US war continues not only to divide the nation but take a real toll in and on lives.

No comments: