Sunday, March 24, 2019

My First Reaction to the Completion of the Mueller Report


Whether the Trump campaign or the Clinton campaign colluded with the Russians, or perhaps the Russians were shrewd enough to manipulate both campaigns for their own purposes, which may (or may not) have included getting Donald Trump elected, the Russians have succeeded in one thing much in their interest – effectively undermining the confidence of the US citizenry in the integrity of their elections.

Regardless of how much, if any, of the Mueller Report is released to whom and how it is redacted, we can expect a long ordeal of innuendo and denial, accusations and evasions, claims of exoneration and calls for consequences, leaks and cover-ups, from all along the political spectrum, perhaps simultaneously among political adversaries and allies alike. This is not to say the Mueller Report will be meaningless, but conflicting meanings will be assigned and debated for decades to come.

My own opinion is that these observations of mine are not causing the fragmentation and polarization of US society. They are symptoms of much deeper issues that orbit around relentless demands for “getting what I want for me and people who are like me,” and an intentional repudiation of concern for the common good and for "those who I think are not congruent with me."

No comments: