Sunday, June 19, 2016

"Politically Correct" or Polite?


Now that rejecting language that has been branded “politically correct” seems to have become politically expedient, I am wondering if calling people derogatory names will become socially acceptable. My anxious suspicion is that even if the vocabulary doesn’t make it into polite conversation, the attitudes behind the language is getting more open. By the way, my personal take is that those who reject “politically correct” are merely giving themselves permission to be impolite. Are we headed for a society in which these words and the attitudes behind them are coming into common usage? Wop, dego, kraut, chink, kike, hun, gook, nigger, jap, bitch, honkey, faggot, darkie, ho, coon, wetback, coolie, oreo, cracker, goy, hillbilly, spook, yid,  hymie, jungle bunny, poncho, sambo, raghead, spic, wasp, white trash, broad, pimp. I’m sure I have missed one you find particularly offensive or favored. 

No comments: