Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I Remember Ebby

           

Not too long after I came to be the pastor of Central Christian Church of Dallas, TX in 2000, Ebby Halliday Acers celebrated her 90th birthday. A little while later the church had a dinner to honor a dozen or so nonagenarians in the congregation. They were an enchanting, engaged and energetic group. Ebby was the last one of that group to leave us for the glorious company of the saints in light.
During my eleven years with Central Christian Church, Ebby was a faithful worshipper. She had her own special place not too far back on the pulpit side where she had sat with her beloved husband Maurice Acers for many years. I did not get to know Maurice who had departed to that heavenly company before I came to Dallas. But Ebby continued to hold him in a dear place in her heart. She took great joy in listening to the glorious pipe organ she and Maurice had given to the church, to which she gave periodic additions.
Eventually Ebby’s brother Paul Hanson came to sit with Ebby in her pew as they worshipped together. When Paul had trouble hearing in that service, Ebby went with him to the early service in the chapel where he could hear better. Being with her beloved brother was more important than listening to the great organ.
Ebby was an Elder Emeritus whose wisdom was especially valued on the occasions when the congregation faced some challenging decisions. Ebby was remarkably generous in ways that supported the church’s ministry without controlling or creating dependency. She was an anchor and center of gravity for the Shank Adult Sunday School Class, not only in their learning but also in their vigorous social life.
Ebby was honored for her contributions to the Dallas community by many organizations between her 90th and 100th birthdays. She frequently asked them to invite me, as her pastor, to offer an invocation prayer. Thanks to Ebby, I had the opportunity to meet many significant people, for which I am thankful. But most of all, these experiences increased my appreciation for the ways Ebby shaped not only Central Christian Church but the whole Dallas community by putting her faith into action in the public arena.
ThanksGiving Square was one of the organizations Ebby believed in and supported. She included me in a number of their events and eventually suggested I serve on their Interfaith Council. Thanks to Ebby I have been enriched by getting to know a wide variety of people from many backgrounds I worked with there.
With her own “hardscrabble” upbringing and breaking into the business world as a woman at a time when that was exceptional, Ebby has always invested herself in aspiring young women, especially those from difficult backgrounds. The Ebby House at Juliette Fowler Homes for young women aging out of foster care put her passion into practical action. How appropriate that she was able to live and be cared for in her final days at Juliette Fowler Homes.
Ebby celebrated her 100th birthday shortly before I wrapped up my pastorate with Central Christian Church in 2011. At that time I frequently heard her answer those who asked for her secret of longevity, “I don’t drink; I don’t smoke; and I don’t retire.” So I learned from Ebby not to say I was retiring as the pastor of Central Christian Church but making a transition to ministry as an interim pastor.

To be sure, the people of Central Christian Church and I will miss Ebby, but she left a mark on all of us that will bear fruit for many more years. Thank you, Ebby!

No comments: